To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the World Soundtrack Awards, Film Fest Ghent devotes its annual album to all thirteen winners of the coveted World Soundtrack Film Composer of the Year Award over the past two decades. This special compilation features newly recorded pieces by Angelo Badalamenti, Nicholas Britell, Carter Burwell, Mychael Danna, Alexandre Desplat, Patrick Doyle, Michael Giacchino, Elliot Goldenthal, James Newton Howard, Alberto Iglesias, Jóhann Jóhannsson, John Williams and Gabriel Yared.
As a tribute to these masters of film music, this album goes the extra mile, featuring studio recordings of pieces and arrangements that have never before been released on CD. This includes concert suites, such as Desplat’s The Imitation Game and Giacchino’s Star Trek, into Darkness and Beyond, and special orchestral arrangements, such as Badalamenti’s “The Voice of Love” from Twin Peaks and Doyle’s “Never Forget” from Murder on the Orient Express. The album also features the premiere release of music for Fear by Carter Burwell and Troy by 2020 WSA Lifetime Achievement Award winner Gabriel Yared.
Two remarkable bonus tracks bookend the album: the premiere release of the World Soundtrack Awards Fanfare, written by Elmer Bernstein especially for the awards ceremony, and "Tribute to the Film Composer”, a fabulous homage arranged by John Williams that brings together no less than 23 different Oscar-winning or Oscar-nominated film themes.
Performed by the Brussels Philharmonic & Vlaams Radiokoor and conducted by Dirk Brossé, music director of Film Fest Ghent, all music is newly recorded by MotorMusic at Flagey’s legendary Studio 4 in Brussels.
The album is licensed to Silva Screen Records and will be released on 23 October 2020.
- World Soundtrack Awards Fanfare (Elmer Bernstein)
- Red Sparrow Overture (James Newton Howard)
- Fear – Main Title (Carter Burwell)
- Hable con ella – Soy Marco (Alberto Iglesias)
- Cobb (Suite) – The Homecoming (Elliot Goldenthal)
- Troy (Suite) (Gabriel Yared)
- When at Last the Wind Lulled (Jóhann Jóhannsson & Rutger Hoedemaekers)
- Hook – The Face of Pan (John Williams)
- Succession (Suite) (Nicholas Britell)
- Monsoon Wedding (Suite) (Mychael Danna)
- The Imitation Game (Suite) (Alexandre Desplat)
- Murder on the Orient Express – Never Forget (Instrumental Version) (Patrick Doyle)
- Star Trek, into Darkness and Beyond (Suite) (Michael Giacchino)
- Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me – The Voice of Love (Angelo Badalamenti)
- Tribute to the Film Composer (John Williams, arr.)
The 20th anniversary edition of the World Soundtrack Awards will be celebrated as a free, online event, livestreamed from Kinepolis Ghent. Register here to follow the ceremony and concert with amongst others Alexandre Desplat and Gabriel Yared, completely free of charge and from the comfort of your sofa on the 24th of October.